Friday, April 15, 2011

Photobucket 
  
  I will not be cooking for us tonight; my husband is taking the afternoon off to spend some time as a family. I will, however, be making dinner this morning to take to my in-laws. My mother-in-law is coming home from the hospital after having knee replacement surgery, and as wonderful as my father-in-law is about taking care of things, he should only have to worry about her today. So, I'm off to make my Grandmother Davis' homemade Chicken Noodle Gravy over Mashed Potatoes.

Chicken Noodle Gravy 

Gravy:
3 qt. Water                                             4-6 T. Chicken Bouillon
5 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts           diced Carrots, Celery and Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

  Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add chicken breasts and cook 30 minutes (while chicken is cooking prepare noodles). Remove chicken and dice, then return to pot. Add remaining ingredients and noodles; bring back to a boil and cook 30 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes. Note: If you like your gravy a little thicker, dissolve 3 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water and slowly pour into the soup; cook until thickened.

Egg Noodles:
1 c. Flour                                                  1-2 Tbsp. Milk
1 Egg, lightly beaten                                   1/2 tsp. Salt

Combine all ingredients until dough forms a smooth ball. Roll out to 1/4" thickness on a floured surface. Cut into fat noodles with a pizza cutter or knife. Let rest on the counter for 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment