Monday, April 18, 2011

Family Night

Photobucket 

  Monday night is "Family Night" in our home which includes, what else, but a "Family Night" treat! Despite having somehow come down with a case of tonsillitis, my children insisted we could not go without our traditional treat. So, I find myself now sitting in my kitchen waiting for the last batch of cookies to come out of the oven so that our Quiche dinner can go in.
  For those of you who may be cooking along with me my Quiche tonight included many of my THRIVE veggies-Freeze Dried Spinach, Onions and Mixed Bell Peppers (I would have used freeze dried mushrooms, but I have a pound of fresh in my fridge needing to be used.) Also included in my dish is diced ham, bacon crumbles and way more cheese than any person should ever need in a single Quiche (I got a little over-zealous. But hey, what doesn't taste better with a little extra...or a lot extra cheese!)
  If you're looking for a quick and easy (and in my opinion absolutely divine pie crust recipe), the following is my mother's recipe which I have used since I first began making pies at the age of 12. You will only need half this recipe for the Quiche and do not pre-bake the crust.
   As for our treat...a new recipe-Chocolate Crinkles. Yes, I did try one already; and yes, they are wonderful. The recipe is courtesy of Real Simple. I included a picture of my finished product along with the recipe. My only improvement might be to add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the batter. Mmmmm!


Pie Crust

2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
Dash salt
Ice water (about 4-8 T. depending on the humidity of the day)

  To a mixing bowl add; flour, shortening, sugar, and salt. Stir ingredients with a fork or cut in with 2 knives until it becomes coarse crumbs. Add ice water in small amounts, stirring gently, just until dough comes together (Remember, it’s not Play-dough). Divide dough into two portions and roll out on a well floured surface. This recipe yields a double-crust. 
  If making a pie that calls for a pre-baked crust, bake the crust at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes (depending on how browned you like it). Note: This is a very flaky crust that is great with any pie.



Chocolate Crinkles

Makes 36 cookies| Hands-On Time: 35m | Total Time: 2hr

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • large eggs
  • 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar

Directions

Heat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
    With an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.  
    Form the dough into balls (each equal to 1 level tablespoon). Roll the balls in the confectioners’ sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are firm and the tops crack, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

    1 comment: