Thursday, April 14, 2011

FOR DINNER TONIGHT

Photobucket
  
Update: The Hollandaise had way too much lemon juice. Cut the lemon juice to 1-3 teaspoons (according to taste) and it will be perfect! Here's the link to my results with it.

  I have been dying to try a recipe for hollandaise sauce based off Julia Childs "Blender Hollandaise" recipe. The first time I tried to make hollandaise it was a disaster. I had the typical problem of the sauce curdling while the butter was being whisked in-as a result, I have not attempted the sauce again. Julia promises however, that her "Blender Hollandaise" recipe is "within the capabilities of an 8-year-old child". So, it is with slight hesitation that I attempt Eggs Benedict for only the second time in my life. I will be making the English Muffins from a recipe I came across a while back, poaching eggs, topping with slightly crispy pancetta and...the dreaded Hollandaise. My family loves breakfast for dinner so I like to go all out when I do it. The Eggs Benedict will be served with homemade hashbrowns and Orange Julius.



Hollandaise- Courtesy of Saveur

1/2 lb. unsalted butter
6 egg yolks
4–6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it begins to foam, 15–20 minutes. Meanwhile, put egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the jar of an electric blender. Cover, and blend on high speed for 2 seconds; then, with the motor still running, gradually add melted butter in a slow, steady stream through hole in blender lid, leaving milky solids behind. Adjust seasonings.

How to Poach an Egg -Care of Wikihow

English Muffins- This recipe is virtually fool-proof and the results are fantastic.
 
Homemade Hashbrowns-

Peel and dice or shred 4 potatoes. Place potatoes in a collander and rinse well under cold water; let hashbrowns drain completely. Pour about 3 tablespoons canola oil into a hot cast-iron or other skillet; add hashbrowns and cook over medium heat, flipping occasionally. When hashbrowns are cooked through and browned (about 30 minutes) salt and pepper to taste.

Orange Julius-

6 oz. frozen Orange Juice concentrate
1 c. Water
1 c. Milk
1/4-1/2 c. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
10-12 Ice Cubes

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

1 comment:

  1. Holy CATS Autumn! Can I come over for dinner? I love breakfast for dinner too! I think I may try this sauce soon, My mom LOVES eggs benedict and we usually use the sauce mix by western family.. I'm sure this recipe is MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete