Thursday, July 21, 2011

How To: Cook An Artichoke


  I realized the other day, that although I was taught how to cook artichokes in my early teens, it might not be something everyone is familiar with. So, here I am to help.

  The first trick is to pick artichokes that are a vibrant green color with leaves of similar size all the way around.
  Next, remove the stem with a very sharp knife and the bottom row of leaves. Cut the tips off the top of the artichoke as shown in the picture above. Rinse the artichoke very well under cold water, carefully pulling the center leaves apart as you do (this ensures the center of the artichoke cooks well).
  Fill a large pot, fitted with a steamer basket, with 4 inches of water; add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring water to boil over high heat.
  Place the artichoke in the steamer basket of the pot, cover with a lid and steam 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.
  Serve with clarified butter or hollandaise.

1 comment:

  1. I've only cooked artichoke a couple times and I've been doing it wrong! Thanks for the tips! MMMM now I'm craving one! Hopefully they come on sale soon...

    ReplyDelete