Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Most Delicious Sandwich!

Photobucket

    Last night was an adventure in reinventing! I was looking for something I could make for dinner that wouldn't heat up the house, when I came across an idea for an open-face sandwich. I decided to put my own twist on it and set to work whipping up a batch of homemade ricotta (Cover it an let it rest on the counter for the day. The result is a tangy, warm cheese) to go on the sandwiches. Here's my Grilled Open-Face Sandwich:

Sourdough Bread (leftover from Sunday's dinner)- Lightly coat with Extra Virgin Olive Oil on one side and place oil side down on a hot grill.
Sirloin Steak- Cut into strips. Season with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, coarse salt and fresh-ground pepper; place on the grill until cooked through (about 3 minutes per side).
Zucchini (just plucked from the garden)- Trim off both ends and cut lengthwise into thick slices. Brush each side with Extra Virgin Olive Oil; sprinkle one side with coarse salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Grill 4 minutes per side.


  Assemble: Spread a generous amount of fresh ricotta on the oiled and toasted side of each slice of bread. Lay strips of steak across the top; top with a slice of zucchini. Serve immediately (I served it with boiled new potatoes that I seasoned with butter, salt, pepper and fresh Italian Parsley).

  I decided that for appearance sake, as well as ease in eating, I would slice the steak into one long slice for each sandwich instead of individual strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment