Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mascarpone Cheese Gelato

Photobucket
  Are you wondering what I planned to do with the Mascarpone Cheese I just created? Well, I had something in mind right from the get-go; Mascarpone Cheese Gelato. Gelato is one of those indulgences that I rarely take part in because it's so darn expensive. I've been itching to try making my own and finally gave myself the excuse. I already had all the ingredients on hand (including the vanilla bean, which happened to be left over from a previous recipe adventure) so I went to work on gelato-making this morning. I now have about a half gallon of deliciousness (totally a word) chillin' in my freezer. I have to admit, it didn't turn out quite as creamy as I'd hoped, and next time I think I'll add a tad more lemon zest, but it beats the pants off any vanilla ice cream out there!!!



Mascarpone Cheese Gelato

2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
16 ounces
mascarpone cheese, room temperature (I just used my 12.9oz)
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

  In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, add the bean, and let sit for 30 minutes. Strain into a clean bowl discarding the vanilla bean. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  Stir in the mascarpone and lemon zest. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment