Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trying Something New

  So, fried catfish is something I have never made. Since my husband has never been a big fan of fish, I have cooked very little of it. Recently, as our kids have gotten a little older, I've decided to try introducing more seafood into our diet (since seafood is something I really enjoy). Tonight's experiment taught me two things; half my family is not particularly fond of catfish, and I'm not particularly fond of cornmeal-battered fish. I have to say that as far as recipes go, this one is a sure hit for someone who likes cornmeal batter and catfish. The flavor is there, it has a nice crunch and the batter sticks to the fish.
  I combined two recipes to create one I thought might go over well.

Fried Catfish
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1⁄4 cup flour
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne (or to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper
4 catfish fillets
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

  Pour oil into a large, deep cast-iron skillet to 3" deep and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking (350 degrees) on a candy thermometer.
  Combine cornmeal, flour, seasoned salt, garlic salt, cayenne, and black pepper to taste in a large shallow dish. In a separate dish, whisk together milk and egg. Thoroughly dredge catfish fillets in milk mixture, then flour mixture. Gently shake off excess.
  Fry catfish in the hot oil, without turning, until golden and crisp (5–6 minutes). Transfer fillets with a slotted spatula to paper towels to drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment