Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hello Cupcake!





   I have had and will have several things over the course of the week that require goodies to be made. I have chosen to make cupcakes for each of these events, because they go pretty far for a large crowd. 
  We had an event last night, to which I took Devil's Food Cupcakes (I used the cake recipe but filled my cupcake pans 2/3 full and baked them 15-18 minutes). 
  Some cupcakes were topped with my Chocolate Fudge Frosting (see below), and others with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting (remember the Whoopie Pie Filling?).


Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
2 tsp. vanilla extract
milk (about 2-5 Tbsp.)

  Beat butter and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add cooled chocolate and vanilla; continue to beat until shiny and smooth. While beating, very slowly add milk just until frosting turns light and fluffy.


Yes that is a chocolate cupcake "wrapper"!
  Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. They have a tradition in the office where the birthday person brings the treat on their special day; for which I have made Ice Cream Cupcakes. I love these particular cupcakes because they combine birthday cake and ice cream into one scrumptious treat! These cupcakes are completely versatile, so feel free to play around with different ice cream and cupcake combinations. For this occasion I have made my husbands favorite-Red Velvet Cupcakes with Black Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream and Raspberry Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting. YUM!!!

Here's how to make these fantastic cupcakes:
  Begin by mixing up your cake of choice. Fill muffin tins a little under half full and bake; slice the dome off the top once they have cooled completely. 
  For the chocolate "wrappers". Melt 12 ounces milk chocolate with 2 tablespoons shortening. Using a spoon, spread the chocolate in a medium-thick layer on the inside of a large paper muffin liner; place the coated liner inside the muffin tin. Repeat the process with the remaining liners and freeze (you may need to melt more chocolate, depending on how many cupcakes you are making).
  Once your chocolate "wrappers" have set in the freezer, it's assembly time (you will want your ice cream to be softened for this). Place a cupcake in the bottom of the chocolate wrapper and press down lightly. Top the cupcake with ice cream leaving a 1/2" gap between the ice cream and the top of the wrapper; freeze over-night (or at least 5 hours).
  Remove the cupcakes from the freezer a few at a time and carefully peel the paper muffin liner from the chocolate; return the cupcakes to the freezer as you go so the ice cream doesn't get too soft. Return all the cupcakes to the freezer while you prepare the frosting.
  Spoon frosting into a piping bag and pipe away. Return cupcakes to freezer until ready to serve.
   These are best if left to soften about 10 minutes before eating. Note: Cupcakes store well in an airtight container in the freezer about 2 weeks.

Whipped Cream Frosting
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin (Knox)
4 tsp. cold water
1 c. heavy whipping cream (very cold)
1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

  Combine gelatin and cold water in a small saucepan; let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
  Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until very stiff. While beating, gradually add cooled gelatin to whipped cream. Whip until stiff.
  I tripled this recipe to frost 24 cupcakes. Also, since I made mine chocolate-raspberry whipped cream, here's what I did: I combined 1/4 cup raspberry jam with the cooled gelatin and slowly drizzled that in at the time the recipe states. I then added 3 tablespoons cocoa.

  I love making cupcakes because they leave so much up to your individual tastes and creativity. So, get in your kitchen and start creating!

1 comment:

  1. I am so logging away that chocolate frosting recipe! I love it! I still remember you made cupcakes with it for my birthday! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete