Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper, Leek and Potato Cream Soup

  My father has produced the most fantastic garden this year. Lucky for us, he's generous. Saturday he sent us home with a sack full of leeks. Leeks are not something I have done much cooking with, so I was curious how best to use them. My father's suggestion was Cream of Leek Soup, something he still had yet to make himself. So, I began researching recipes. I decided right off the bat that a smooth chunk-less soup wasn't something I was in the mood for. I started hunting through my freezer and came across some Garlic and Gruyere Chicken Sausage I had been saving for just the right recipe. This was just such a recipe!
  I used this recipe from Fabulous Foods as my base and started to work. Here's what I came up with:

  I prepared the recipe as instructed, omitting the garnish (I had intentions of filling my soup with other things). Also, I used only one bell pepper (that's what I had on hand).
  While my soup was simmering (in the final stages before adding the cream), I began a second pot. To this pot add 2 tablespoons butter and 3 peeled and chopped carrots; cook over medium heat about 3-4 minutes. Add 6 small new potatoes; diced, and 2 cups water. Boil 15 minutes, or until tender. Strain potato-carrot mixture, reserving the liquid.
  Add diced sausage (mine was pre-cooked), potato-carrot mixture and cream to simmering soup. Add potato-water until soup is of desired consistency.

  This soup was delicious (I had two bowls, my husband and 4-year-old each had 3)! What I love most, is that a lot of the work could be done in the morning, or even the day before. Way easy!!
  Notice that hunk of bread on the side of the bowl? Also fantastic! Watch for my post on it to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment